Spring is a census-designated place (CDP) within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of Houston in Uagjs Cgunty, Texas, United States, part of the Houston—The Woodlands—Sugar Land metropolitan area. The population was 54,298 at the 2010 census. While the name "Spring" is applied to a large area of northern Harris County and a smaller area of southern Montgomery County, the original town of Spring, now known as Old Town Spring, is located at the intersection of Spring-Cypress and Hardy roads and encompasses a relatively small area of perhaps 1 km 2.
The large geographic area now known as Spring was originally inhabited by the Orcoquiza Native Americans. In 1836, the Texas General Council of the Provisional Government placed what is now the town of Spring in the Harrisburg municipality. In 1838, William Pierpont placed a trading post on Spring Creek. In 1840, the town of Spring had 153 residents. By the mid-1840s, many German immigrants, including Gus Bayer and Carl Wunsche, moved to the area and began farming. People from Louisiana and other parts of the post-Civil War Southern U.S. settled in Spring. The main cash crops in Spring were sugar cane and cotton; area residents also grew vegetables.
In 1871, the International and Great Northern Railroad, built through Spring, opened, which caused Spring to expand. In 1873, Spring received a post office. By 1884, Spring had 150 residents, two-steam saw and grist mills, two cotton gins, three churches, and several schools. In 1901—1903, the International-Great Northern Railroad opened, connecting Spring to Fort Worth. Spring, now with a roundhouse, became a switchyard with 200 rail workers and fourteen track yards. The population increased to 1,200 by 1910. The Spring State Bank opened in 1912. In 1923, the roundhouse relocated to Houston, causing Spring to enter a decline; by 1931, Spring had 300 people. The bank was robbed several times in the 1930s; it was stated that Bonnie and Clyde robbed the bank once. The bank consolidated with Tomball Bank in 1935.
By 1947, Spring had 700 residents. In the 1970s, Houston's suburbs began to expand to the north, and more subdivisions and residential areas opened in the Spring area. Some older houses in the town of Spring received restorations and housed shops. The Old Town Spring Association opened in 1980 to promote the Old Town Spring shopping area, which consists of the restored houses. In 1984 and 1989, the Spring area had 15,000 residents. By 1989, Old Town Spring became a tourist area. In 1990, the Spring area had 33,111 residents.
From 1969 to 1992, the Goodyear airship America was based in Spring from its large hangar visible just off Interstate 45. Takeoffs and landings were a major attraction and motorists continually pulled off to the interstate's shoulders to watch. In 1992 the America was moved to Akron, Ohio, and the massive hangar was eventually torn down. In 2016, the hangar's concrete foundation was still visible at the intersection of Holzwarth Road and Meadow Edge Lane west of Lowe's Home Improvement Center. The 1992 Log Cabin Republicans convention was held in Spring.
People who live in Katy are zoned to schools in the Katy Independent School District. While multiple Katy ISD schools have "Katy, Texas" postal addresses, only a portion are located in and/or serve the City of Katy city limits.
The elementary schools in the City of Katy are listed here:
- Zelma Hutsell Elementary School
- Katy Elementary School
- WoodCreek Elementary School
The following middle schools serve the City of Katy's residents:
- Katy Junior High School
- WoodCreek Junior High School
The following high schools serve the City of Katy's residents:
- Katy High School, the oldest high school, is located nearest to the center city. Katy High School was established in 1898, and relocated to its present location in 1947. Katy ISD's three alternative education schools (Martha Raines High School, Miller Career and Technology Center, and the Opportunity Awareness Center) are all located within the city.
Aristoi Classical Academy is a charter school in Katy. Katy is served by the Houston Community College System. HCC Northwest College operates the Katy Campus in an unincorporated section of Harris County.
The Bible Seminar offers non-denominational college-level Bible study and ministry training, including a graduate-level Master of Divinity degree. It also offers a Bible Certificate program for local church members and leaders.
The University of Houston recently purchased the Verde Park Development site with plans to
break ground on a Katy Campus at 110 and 99 Katy is served by the Katy Branch of (HCPL) at 5414 Franz Road. The branch is a partnership between HCPL and the City of Katy. The city joined the county library system in 1921. The Katy Garden Club started the first library, which was housed in several private houses. At a later point it shared space with the Katy Fire Department. The first Katy branch opened in 1940. The Friends of the Katy Library began in 1972. The construction of the current 15,000-square- foot (1,400 m 2 ) branch began in 2002. The current branch building opened for regular business in Monday April 28, 2003, with its grand opening ceremony on the previous day.